CALL US ON 080 777 777 1

Are your sites ready for shut down?

Using an independent contractor? You still need to comply with the Compensation Act.

Employing smaller companies as sub- or independent contractors gives your own business more flexibility and allows local contractors to expand their business. But, did you know that as the client, you might be held civilly liable for any costs or compensation in case of work-related injuries or illness?

According to Section 22 of the Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases Act, no 130 of 1993 (COIDA), all employees have the right to compensation where they are injured, disabled or become ill as a result of a workplace incident or work-related disease. It is, however, important to note that there is a difference between an ‘employee’ and an ‘independent contractor’.

    Letter of Intent
    The Labour Relations Act, no 66 of 1995 makes this distinction when it defines an employee as “any person, excluding an independent contractor who works for another person or for the State…”. The situation is viewed differently when an independent contractor or one of their employees is injured, disabled or becomes ill due to any incident that takes place on the mandator’s premises, or on a place where the mandator had undertaken to execute any works. In practice, the sub-contractor should be registered as the employer of his/her workers and be responsible for COIDA-related costs. If your sub-contractor has not done this, you as the mandator/contractor automatically becomes the employer and will be held responsible by default. Section 89 (1) of COIDA titled Contractors and sub-contractors specifies who carries what responsibility in this instance:
    1. If a contractor in the course of or for the purposes of his or her business enters into an agreement with a sub-contractor for the execution by the subcontractor of the whole or any part of any work undertaken by the contractor, the subcontractor shall, in respect of its employees employed in the execution of the work concerned, register as an employer in accordance with the provisions of the Act and pay the necessary assessments.
    2. If a sub-contractor fails to register or pay any assessment, the said employees of the sub-contractor shall be deemed to be the employees of the contractor, and the contractor shall pay the assessments in respect of those employees.

    Click here to find out how you can safeguard your business against this risk.
      Fortunately, there are various mechanisms in place to protect your company when it comes to COIDA. Firstly, make sure that your Contractors’ All Risk, Construction Liability and Professional Indemnity policies are up to date with CivilSure. Always request a Letter of Good Standing from your sub-contractor. This is a certificate from the Compensation Fund that verifies that a business exists, has paid all its statutory dues, has met all relevant filing requirements and is subsequently authorised to operate. The Construction Regulations as promulgated under the Occupational Health and Safety Act, 1993 also requires you to ensure that contractors (and sub-contractors) are registered and in good standing with the Compensation Fund, or with a licensed compensation insurer. COIDA does provide you with a measure of protection, too. As the mandator/contractor, the Act allows you to pay the assessment fees relevant to the employees in question – and to recover these fees from the sub-contractor. Alternatively, this amount may be set off against any monies owed to the sub-contractor. Sub-contractors must be aware that certain conditions must be met to apply for a Letter of Good Standing. These specify that:
    • employers must be registered with the Compensation Fund as per section 80 of the COID Act;
    • employers must have submitted all returns of earnings as per section 82 of the COID Act;
    • employers must be fully assessed as per section 83 of the COID Act;
    • employers must have settled all outstanding debt as per section 86 of the COID Act; and
    • employers that have entered into an instalment arrangement will only be issued with a letter of good standing on a monthly basis.
    While COIDA exists to protect employees and employers alike, it is always a good idea to know your rights. You also need to be aware of the options and opportunities available to cover you and your business against eventualities and unforeseen, unexpected claims and compensation costs. Always make sure that your house is in order before entering into any contract with an independent or sub-contractor, and always request a Letter of Good Standing. If a sub-contractor cannot provide one, it might be safer to reconsider your options. CivilSure provides niche risk solutions to the construction and civils industry. We pride ourselves on delivering world class customer-centric services and specialist advice. We specialise in Construction Guarantees, Contractors’ All Risk Insurance, Construction Liability, Professional Indemnity and Plant All Risk Insurance. Trusted. Reliable. Partner. Since 2005.


    How Does a Contractor Claim For An Extension of Time?

    A Contractor can claim for an extension of time, thus extending the Due Completion Date for a project. He can also claim for any costs which will increase due to being on site for longer (called time-related General Items).

    Why is a Contract Works Policy Necessary?

    When it comes to planning a new construction project, insurance doesn’t always get the priority it requires, with contractors often wondering whether it is really necessary to take out a contract works policy at all. Very often the contract works policy is arranged at the last minute, or even after the project has already started.

    Get your Letter of Intent almost instantly

    The term ‘Letter of Intent’ (LOI) is typically used to describe a letter from an Employer to a Contractor (or from a main Contractor to a Subcontractor) indicating the Employer’s intention to enter into a formal written contract for Works described in the letter, and asking the Contractor to begin those works before the formal Contract is executed. While an Letter of Intent may come in many forms, it’s essentially a communication expressing an intention to enter into a Contract at a future date.

    Why you need Contractors’ All Risk insurance

    All construction work, no matter the size or complexity of the project, contains an element of risk. Find out why you need Contractors All Risk Insurance.

    Bank Guarantee to Fuel Guarantee

    A Fuel Guarantee is security against payment default by the Retailer for fuel delivered by a Fuel Company. The Guarantee covers fuel, lubricant, rent & more

    What is a Performance Guarantee?

    A Performance Guarantee is a contractor’s promise to complete the construction project within the deadlines, while meeting all contractual conditions.

    What is ‘Practical Completion’?

    Practical Completion doesn’t mean the Contractor has finished the Works in every detail. It means the Works are sufficiently complete to be safely used by the Employer for the purpose he intended. The Contractor may still complete minor items and fix defects after Practical Completion, as long as the Employer isn’t inconvenienced.

    How do you get a Performance Guarantee?

    When applying to get a Performance Guarantee, you’ll have to answer basic questions about your professional work experience and your company’s financial history. If your business has more than one owner, the financial credentials of all owners must be submitted.

    When is a Performance Guarantee called on?

    Building Contractors often ask us the question: When is a Performance Guarantee called on? When your company starts bidding on projects for cities, provinces or municipalities, you’ll be expected to provide assurance that you can meet the obligations detailed in the Contract.

    This assurance comes in the form of a Performance Guarantee. Basically, what happens is that a surety company (an insurer or bank), for a certain fee, steps in and guarantees your performance. Surety companies don’t work directly with Contractors. Instead, they partner with brokerages like us.

    What is the Defects Liability Period?

    The Defects Liability Period starts when the Certificate of Completion is issued and continues for the period agreed to in the Contract. During the Defects Liability Period, the Contractor has to obey all written instructions from the Engineer to carry out repairs and fix any defects which appear in the Permanent Works, so that, at the end of the Defects Liability Period, the Permanent Works are in the condition required by the Contract.

    Civilsure Letter of Intent
    Civilsure Construction Guarantees
    Civilsure Contractors All Risk
    Civilsure Get A Quote
    Civilsure Construction Liability
    Civilsure Trade Credit
    Civilsure Professional Indemnity

    CALL US ON 080 777 777 1

    WhatsApp Us