CALL US ON 080 777 777 1

Are your sites ready for shut down?

Protection against delays due to riots, looting and more.

You know that there are many risks associated with running a construction company. After civil unrest wreaked havoc in South Africa in June and July this year, you may be asking yourself: “What would happen if we should have to temporarily close our construction sites because of civil commotion, public disorder, rioting, looting, labour disturbances, strikes, a lockout – or even an act of terrorism?”

    Letter of Intent

    Have you planned for business interruptions of this kind? How will you manage the regular costs of paying yourself, your staff or for the plant that you have hired for the job? How will you pay expenses like medical aids or regular services accounts? Avoid a temporary closure turning into permanent one – or even bankruptcy – with SASRIA’s business interruption insurance.

    The South African Special Risk Insurance Association (SASRIA SOC Ltd) is a state-owned company. It is also the only short-term insurer that provides this type of special risk cover through their network of agent companies and brokers. Well capitalised, at the time of writing SASRIA boasts a capital adequacy ratio of more than three times and have adequate reinsurance programmes with A-rated reinsurers.

    The SASRIA Construction Business Interruption ‘Project Delay’ policy is a stand-alone product with its own terms and conditions. It covers you against financial losses due to the interruption of or interference with your services as a construction business due to specific special risks. As well as losses, the policy will also cover necessary and reasonable expenses, called standing charges, which you may claim for should instances associated with defined special risks cause delays to projects.

    This policy allows you to specify which standing charges in the schedule you want to be covered during the indemnity period. These include regular, fixed business expenses including, but not limited to, directors’ fees and wages; medical schemes and pensions; interest on loans and bank overdrafts; rent; rates and taxes; rentals and subscriptions; utilities like telephone accounts; and other regular expenses. You must have a contracts works policy in place with SASRIA to successfully claim for these standing charges.

    Cover for ‘increase in cost of working’ can also be added. This cover may be used to fund extra security guards; the temporary employment of additional workers; overtime payment; and the hire of plant or equipment. Where the plant rental agreement stipulates that the insured (main contractor) must insure the property and/or be responsible for it at an agreed value, this will be the insured amount reflected on the schedule.

    At an additional premium, the main contractor may, as the insured, also insure subcontractors under the project delay policy up to a maximum of R50 million.

    Please contact us for advice and assistance with securing your SASRIA contracts works and project delay policies. We will work with you to ensure that your company, projects and most valuable asset – your workers – are protected against special risks.

    CivilSure provides niche risk solutions to the construction and civils industry. We pride ourselves on delivering world class customer-centric services and specialist advice. We specialise in Construction Guarantees, Contractors’ All Risk Insurance, Construction Liability, Professional Indemnity and Plant All Risk Insurance.

    Trusted. Reliable. Partner. Since 2005.



    Four types of Contract Guarantees and What They Insure

    Contract Guarantees in the construction, engineering, manufacturing and mining service industries are almost mandatory. Our range of Construction Guarantees are as varied as your requirements. Here’s a short list of the four types of Contract Guarantees and what they insure.

    How do you get a Performance Guarantee?

    When applying to get a Performance Guarantee, you’ll have to answer basic questions about your professional work experience and your company’s financial history. If your business has more than one owner, the financial credentials of all owners must be submitted.

    Plant Hire – Have you read the Contract?

    Have you read your plant hire contract? You should get evidence of the plant hire contract when you hire in a concrete pump truck or any other item of plant.

    Plant All Risk Advice

    “PAR” stands for Plant All Risks, and is a section of insurance cover that is intended to cover all types of construction plant i.e. mobile yellow metal plant such as Graders, TLB’s, Excavators and / or non-mobile construction equipment such as scaffolding, generators and small tools. These are typically used on construction and civil engineering projects ranging from residential to commercial to large infrastructure projects. A PAR policy will cover risks that are fortuitous working accidents/ sudden and unforeseen losses or damages…

    Why is a Contract Works Policy Necessary?

    When it comes to planning a new construction project, insurance doesn’t always get the priority it requires, with contractors often wondering whether it is really necessary to take out a contract works policy at all. Very often the contract works policy is arranged at the last minute, or even after the project has already started.

    Contractors All Risk policy – Should You Put Your Name On It?

    Dirk Gouws (Engineering Insurance expet, AC&E Engineering Underwriting Managers) explains the meaning of having your name on a Contractors All Risk policy.

    Get your Letter of Intent almost instantly

    The term ‘Letter of Intent’ (LOI) is typically used to describe a letter from an Employer to a Contractor (or from a main Contractor to a Subcontractor) indicating the Employer’s intention to enter into a formal written contract for Works described in the letter, and asking the Contractor to begin those works before the formal Contract is executed. While an Letter of Intent may come in many forms, it’s essentially a communication expressing an intention to enter into a Contract at a future date.

    Help! What construction insurance do I need?

    Understandably this can be a challenge as there is a myriad of cover available in the construction insurance landscape.

    Let’s quickly unpack 5 Construction Insurance options for you.

    How Does a Contractor Claim For An Extension of Time?

    A Contractor can claim for an extension of time, thus extending the Due Completion Date for a project. He can also claim for any costs which will increase due to being on site for longer (called time-related General Items).

    What Are Latent Defects?

    A Latent Defect is a defect that is not detected by ordinary inspection, but lies hidden until sometime later, when it’s discovered because it causes a problem that everyone can see.  An example of latent defects would be weak concrete in part of a bridge column, that looks the same as strong concrete, but collapses when a heavy truck drives over the bridge.

    Civilsure Letter of Intent
    Civilsure Construction Guarantees
    Civilsure Contractors All Risk
    Civilsure Get A Quote
    Civilsure Construction Liability
    Civilsure Trade Credit
    Civilsure Professional Indemnity

    CALL US ON 080 777 777 1

    WhatsApp Us